A post for my fellow sugar addicts. 😀 Chag Sameach!
Passover Chocolate Torte
1/2 cup pareve margarine
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
5 eggs, separated
3/4 cup white sugar
1 cup ground almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line bottom and sides of a 9 inch springform pan with foil. Grease foil.
- Melt margarine and chocolate over low heat. Stir until smooth and let cool.
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, beat whites until stiff; about 2 minutes. In a separate bowl, beat together yolks and sugar until thick and pale; about 1 minute. Blend in chocolate mixture and stir in almonds. Fold in beaten whites, 1/3 at a time, into chocolate until no streaks of white remain. Scrape into prepared pan.
- Place an 8 inch baking pan with 1 inch of water in it on the bottom rack of the oven (to make the torte more moist).
- Bake torte on center rack at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 50 minutes, or until sides begin to pull away from pan and top is set in center. Cover the torte loosely with foil for the last 20 minutes of baking. Note: Don’t worry if the cake cracks because the top will be on the bottom later.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes and then carefully remove sides of pan. Invert onto a serving plate and cool completely.
Almond and Coconut Macaroons
2/3 cup sugar
2 large egg whites
2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup whole almonds
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (to be completely kosher for Passover, replace with 1 teaspoon lemon zest)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with a nonstick baking mat or parchment paper. If you don’t have those, spray cookie sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together sugar and egg whites in a large bowl.
- Chop the almonds in a food processor.
- Add the almonds, shredded coconut, and vanilla (or lemon zest) to the egg whites and sugar mixture
- Form dough into 16 two-tablespoon mounds, and drop each onto sheet, two inches apart.
- Bake macaroons until golden-brown on bottoms and edges, about 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets for five minutes. Transfer to wire racks, and let cool.
Makes 16 cookies.
Mint – Chocolate Covered Matzah
7 matza boards
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup mint-chocolate chips